Why page quality should never be overlooked
If you’ve had a reasonable education it’s a fair bet that you can write. Hell, anyone can sit at a computer or even dictate some copy and publish. After all, [bctt tweet=”Everyone is a publisher these days”]. So what’s the problem with that? Page Quality to be precise.
But why should page quality actually matter?
We all know the stats about the amount of content on the Internet. While you’re sleeping, millions of words and videos, pictures and podcasts are being added. Just look at YouTube’s statistics as an example. So why would anyone want to actually read what you or I have produced?
Well, if you break the rules regarding page quality you’ll have absolutely no chance of a readership. Page quality is a massive consideration and It pays to know the rules before you put a word down on the page. Page quality impacts on your business, fact. It impacts on the more important perception that Google is a search engine worth using. That’s why algorithms originally put a stop to page stuffing and gobbledegook articles that had been spun out of recognition. What was the point of filling your Google search with rubbish? We don’t have time to sift through nonsense. [bctt tweet=”As searchers we want relevancy and page quality.”]
So what defines page quality in Google’s eyes?
Key page quality definitions
- Quality and quantity of Main Content (MC). Examine the this carefully. Bearing in mind the purpose of the page, evaluate the quality and quantity of your main content. Be objective. Give it to someone else to read.
- Level of expertise, authoritativeness, and trustworthiness (E-A-T) of the page and the website. The level of E-A-T is vital for YMYL pages [‘your money or your life’ pages. What are these? Well, their quality could negatively impact users’ happiness, health, or wealth]. Get it now?
- Reputation of the website is key. The reputation of a website key when the website demands a high level of trust.’ Do people receive it from your website?
OK, so now we know what Google is looking for, how do you ensure your website conforms and puts your product, brand or service in the best possible light?
First of all [bctt tweet=”It’s worth developing a relationship with a quality content writer”]. This isn’t someone that simply writes creative copy or is ‘passionate about the written word.’. This is a professional that understands your market, your target audience, your purpose and the intended customer experience. Remember, content without data is a waste of time.
You can scout around for content writers that will write for you at highly attractive low rates. This is great. But is it really ‘great’ for your target audience?
Is it ‘great’ as far as Google is concerned?
Will you end up losing credibility from a Google penalty?
What is your expected ROI for any piece of content?
Therefore, isn’t it worth ensuring it’s the very best it can be?
Otherwise why bother to use content marketing at all?
But if you are looking to make quality content checks on what you are producing you can find them in that link. If you are afraid of duplicate content when hiring a writer you have four options to check on what they produce:
If you want a complete list of Google’s 200 Ranking Factors this will help you too.
But, if you do worry about producing content marketing of quality, and don’t have time to do anything about it then why not hire a professional content writer to create page quality for your business?
You can help yourself and prepare your chosen writer by:
- Being clear about your target audience and what they need to read.Undertaking gap analysis to see just what’s missing on Google in your niche or industry.
- Working hard on creating valuable content and learn to repurpose it to gain the maximum value for the effort that needs to be expended.
- Keeping Google’s Keyword planner close by and let your content be informed by it.
- Thinking about readability. Think about how people consumer content. Sometimes a meme makes the point, sometimes it’s a podcast, short video or infographic.
- Considering where your content will sit but most of all be guided by page quality.
Contact a professional content writer and start a long-term relationship to improve your page quality and develop your content marketing in 2016. An experienced and knowledgeable content writer can review your page quality and offer you best practice.